Friday, January 9, 2009

Thursday 8th January 2009 - Ray Vinella's class

Not a bad start to the new year. I started this painting with Shari last week, we had lunch together for a catch up and then took a walk in the snow by this stream at a trailhead just outside of town. We were looking for a good spot to paint in, a good view with some sunshine on us to keep us warm but didn't find one - the good spots were all in the shade or on precarious looking ice. We took photographs and went back to my house, printed the photos up and worked in my warm studio instead.



At the end of the session I felt sure the painting could be better and took it to Ray's class yesterday to work on it some more. he made some good suggestions and I was much happier with it when I finished. Ray mostly encourages me to use brighter, stronger colour.



That lunch with Shari was at the sushi place north of town and I took a photograph of the teepee behind it on that bright sunny day with a recent fall of thick snow. I used that photograph to make this painting in Ray's session too. I think the feeling of light works well in this one.

Ice Bridge - 16 x 12" - oil on canvas - $750
Shelter from the Snow - 10 x 20" - oil on canvas - $795

No comments: