Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Saturday 12th January 2008 - Horseman



I got the idea to ask Brian to pose for us at the Saturday group when he showed me a painting that his brother had done of him on horseback in one of the galleries where I show my work and where he works. I didn't know that he had been a professional horseman (NOT a cowboy, he informed me) until a couple of years ago when he had a serious back injury. These days he works in the gallery and as a bartender, waiting impatiently for his back to be healed enough to be back in the saddle full time again.
He was delighted to pose for us and brought all the equipment to go with the outfit.
During the painting session he told us stories about life as a horseman and his mentors, told us about the saddle and bridle and much more, which gave us quite an atmosphere to paint in.
I took photos so i can work some more on this piece.
Horseman - oil on canvas - 30 x 22" - unfinished

No comments: