Monday, April 21, 2008

Sunday 20th April 2008


After a night camping on the beach under a full moon, I painted this one in the morning. My second attempt at painting the ocean went all right. I was trying to capture the 'atmospheric perspective', the damp air making the further cliffs lighter and more blue. You don't often see this up in the mountains of New Mexico as the air is so dry.

Just as i was finishing this one off, the surfer came and stood right on the beach, watching the waves and creating exactly the right foreground detail.

Polihale Beach - 16 x 12" - oil on canvas - $575



Later that day I took a drive up Waimea Canyon and painted this one from the look out. The light changes all the time, which makes it a little challenging. It started to rain soon after I set up, so I was painting under an umbrella waiting for the rain to stop. As the tourists were laughing at me I replied that i had done crazier things to get a painting... but i couldn't think of any right now.





I was very happy with the effect of the light hitting the rain falling in the distance.
Fine Art Prints on Demand



Waimea Canyon - 16 x 12" - oil on canvas - $575

No comments: