Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My first one woman show!


Once the results of Originals 2007 were announced, Chris and Victor Martinez from Taos Homegrown Gallery on Taos Plaza offered me a one woman show and I was delighted. This photo shows me at the opening standing in front of part of the display of 12 paintings. Here are some of the paintings in the show.


Charnele is a very talented young woman who graduated from High School this year and has left Taos now to study theatre in New York. She was a wonderful model and very popular with the various painting, sculpting and drawing groups and individual artists. I painted this nude of her at the Wednesday group over 2 weeks.
Charnele - oil on Canvas - 20x16" - contact Taos Homegrown Gallery for prices.


My friend Jane Grover and I were impatient to paint fall colours a couple of weeks ago and drove around looking for turning leaves until we settled on this spot in Taos Ski Valley. We liked the drama of the rocky mountainside by the river and the stately looking trees.
"Taos Ski Valley" - oil on canvas - 16x12" -


I was spending a long weekend in Aspen and had brought my paints with me. I was excited that the fall colours were further along than they were in Taos and was looking forward to splashing out the yellows and oranges. On the day that I had free to paint it was raining and the skies were flat and grey. I waited around until noon, hoping that the sun would come out and when it didn't I set out to paint anyway, sure that it would stop by the time I reached the spot I had picked out in Castle Creek. I set up in the rain and was feeling quite miserable for an hour, the rain dripping from my umbrella onto my shoulder. Then the sun came out and the skies cleared enough for me to see further peaks with thick snow on them. The rest of the afternoon was beautiful and magical!
Aspen Fall - oil on canvas - 16x12"

No comments: