Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Taos Open

Friday 21st September was probably the biggest night of the year for the Art Community here in Taos. The opening night for the Taos Open and Taos Invites Taos, this year featuring the new "Living Masters" section, was packed and buzzing.

As you walk around and see so many wonderful artists' work, it is awe inspiring that they all live here in this little county, up in the mountains.

I had 2 pieces in the Taos Open. 'The Gorge' I painted only a couple of weeks ago. My good friend and great painter, Michelle Chrisman called me up at lunchtime and said, do you want to paint the gorge at sunset? I had had a day of paying bills and going to the bank and jumped at the opportunity. I usually paint in the morning and had never attempted a sunset landscape before.


We love this overlook of the Gorge, south of town, beyond the Country Club. More and more of this land is being developed and built on, so we are making the most of it while we artists can still paint there. It was a hot afternoon and Michelle and I managed to get some shade from a large bush. Smothered in bug repellant and the light moving every second, we painted fast!

'Ladies in a garden' was set in Walt Gonske's garden when it was in full bloom this summer. Paula, the young woman with dark hair, is from Brazil and lives here in Taos and models for us regularly. Her mother was visiting from Brazil and enjoyed being painted with her daughter. I made a good start on the painting and then took a photo of the scene, printed it out on my computer and continued working on it at the Habitat for Humanity fundraiser event that same afternoon, where the photo of me working on it was taken.

'The Gorge' - oil on canvas - 20 x 20" - $875
'Ladies in a Garden' - oil on canvas - 20 x 28" - $880

No comments: