Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Quick Draw













The Quick draw at the TCA is a fun annual event where local artists have only a couple of hours to create a piece of art while spectators are milling around them and asking them questions. The pieces of art are then auctioned off to raise funds for the TCA, the Taos Community Auditorium, which is a non-profit organisation.

I ran into Huberto Maestas the night before the event and thought he'd make a great subject. I asked him if he'd mind me painting him while he was sculpting at the event and he said he would be delighted... as long as he didn't have to stay still. He did move around a lot while I was painting him but I worked around that.

At one point a local news station was filming my friend Sam Richardson while he was sketching me, painting Huberto while he was sculpting away.

A local woman was watching my progress as I painted and bought the painting to hang next to the sculpture that Huberto had done at the event the year before.

'L'Escuturo' - oil on canvas - 20x16" - SOLD

No comments: